Face your fear of the dentist with the help of sedation dentistry. It’s a great solution for patients who postpone routine check-ups or treatment because of a nagging fear of their dentist. Patients can undergo dental implants and restorative or cosmetic procedures without worrying about pain and discomfort.
Dental fear or anxiety can be caused by a bad experience, embarrassment or feelings of helplessness. It is best to communicate your fears with your dentist and discuss your apprehensions. Express your feelings and do not hesitate to ask questions. This way, your New Albany dentist will be able to help you cope with your fear. Suggest signals that you can use during the treatment like a hand signal or a nod whenever you’re feeling uncomfortable.
Relaxation techniques are effective in reducing the levels of stress hormones in your body. It can be through:
- Guided imagery – a simple relaxation technique which is done by imagining pleasant experience or a soothing place.
- Deep breathing – simply breathing slowly and deeply can relax your central nervous system and reduce discomfort.
- Progressive relaxation – lessens muscle tension and reduces pain by relaxing your muscles starting from the toes all the way up to your head.
- Uttering a prayer – praying is also a powerful way of dealing with fear. Pray that you’ll be able to overcome your fear and finish the treatment without hassle.
New Albany dentist, Dr. Receveur, offers sedation dentistry to help you cope with fear and finish the treatment without delay. There are three types of sedatives used in dentistry:
- Inhaled sedation – also known as “laughing gas,” is a minimal type of sedation. Nitrous oxide is inhaled through your nose to keep you relaxed for a short period of time.
- Intravenous sedation (IV Sedation) – is administered through your veins and takes effect immediately.
Talk to Dr. Receveur about your dental anxiety. Call 888-469-3982 and set an appointment right away.