Don’t Let Dry Mouth Defeat Your Summer Spirit
This beautiful weather we’ve been experiencing here in the Ohio River Valley is wonderful! The sunshine and warmth is a great refresher after our long, cold winter season. We hope you are getting out and about to enjoy the sunshine! One thing that will make your time outside less enjoyable is a dry mouth. Not only will it make you uncomfortable, it is really detrimental to the overall health of your mouth. We’ve put together a list of five ways you can take care of dry mouth before it ruins your day!
1) Drink plenty of water. Dry mouth is a sign of dehydration and can often be corrected by being intentional about increasing your water intake. Get a refillable bottle and drink up!
2) Chew gum! Not just any gum, of course. Chew sugar-free gum to increase saliva production.
3) Use a humidifier while you sleep. We don’t have much of a problem with dry air around here, but if dry mouth is a problem, the humidifier while you sleep can really help!
4) Discuss changing your prescriptions. If nothing is working, the dry mouth might be a side effect of a prescription medication. Discuss options with your doctor to see if another prescription might be better for you.
5) Schedule a dental exam. When you come in for your exam, let us know what is going on! Dry mouth is a symptom that we see a lot. We can help you come up with a plan of action to defeat this thing!
Dry mouth isn’t a disease, but is can cause major problems for your oral health! It’s not something to ignore, so don’t let that be an option. Give us a call today if you need some other ideas for defeating dry mouth. Schedule an appointment, and let us discuss your options with you! We are looking forward to hearing from you!