5 Important Facts About Our Dental Implants
Dr. Receveur here,
Today I want to share a few facts about dental implants. I use dental implants in my New Albany dental practice frequently. In my experience, dental implants are the ultimate way to secure dentures or to replace single missing teeth. Implants are versatile, strong, and allow you to eat the food you love again.
Here are 5 important facts about dental implants you need to know if you have missing teeth or removable dentures.
1. Dental implants nearly match the power of natural teeth. Many patients with missing teeth believe that removable dentures are the best way to replace missing teeth. Not true! Removable dentures are mostly aesthetic options, but they cannot give your the function you need. If you’re looking for function, dental implants are a great way to replace missing teeth. Here are the facts about dentures and dental implants. Dentures provide only 25 to 50 percent of the power of natural teeth, while dental implants can give you about 90 percent of the biting power of natural teeth.
2. Dental implants placement is highly successful. Some people assume that advanced dental treatments like placing dental implants have a low success rate. That’s not the case. In fact, dental implants are one of the most successful tooth replacement options out there. To be a great candidate for dental implants, you need to be in good general health and have enough jaw bone density. We have found that dental implants can be placed with a more than 95 percent success rate.
3. Dental implants stop jaw bone recession. Unlike other tooth replacement options like dentures and bridges, dental implants can stopped jaw bone recession. The reason is that dental implant merge with the jaw bone. Our implants are made from titanium, a biocompatible metal in which bone will form around. There is a short healing process, but once the implant and bone merge, you’ll have a stable foundation for your permanent teeth.
4. Dental implants can save you money down the road. Dental implants are a major financial investment — there is no doubt about that. But consider the point above: dental implants are extremely successful and can last for a lifetime with proper care. Dentures can be a major hassle on your wallet. The dentures often slide around in the mouth and warp or break. The average pair of dentures only last about five to eight years. Once you replace dentures a few times, you will have spent several thousands of dollars.
5. Dental implants can save your life. Earlier in this post, I told you that dentures do not come close to matching the power of dental implants or natural teeth. Having removable dentures or having no teeth makes it nearly impossible to get the nutrition you need. In fact, studies have found that people without teeth can shave 10 years off their life. That’s a huge gamble to take, especially if you’re making a decision about replacement teeth solely based on the price.
Schedule An Appointment
These are just five facts about dental implants that I share with all of my patients who struggle with missing teeth. The ultimate choice is yours. I’m happy to sit down with you to discuss the ways to repair your smile. Come see us for an in-depth consultation by calling our office at (888) 469-3982.